Friday, January 29, 2010

So while everyone is staying bundled up in OKC for IceStorm 2010, I'm getting ready for a "welcome home" party at the Black Iris, in the fort greene neighborhood of Brooklyn. A Mediterranean BYOB place with amazing homemade pita bread. So delicious.

Still no job yet but definitely looking looking looking. Went to 4 open interviews on Wednesday. Everytime someone looks at my resume they say, "Iron Starr (or Bohemian Spirit).....where's that?" (Oklahoma City) "Oklahoma City? oh...well we will call you by the end of this week." Gets familiar to hear that but not any better.

Taking the subway home, I actually ran into someone I knew from OKC.....how random is that? In a city of millions and millions of people I see someone I know my first week here. Astonishing.

I'm staying in a neighborhood of Brooklyn called Greenpoint. Very lovely neighborhood, it is a Polish neighborhood with the highest amount of Polish-Americans, outside of Chicago, in the U.S. This neighborhood is pretty much 50% families/50% hipsters (for lack of a better term and no, I'm not one. At least I don't call myself one but no self-respecting hipster would call themself one either so I am just am). I'm two minutes away from the subway, grocery store, laundromat, and expensive mexican food.

Talk about expensive, I went to the store to get my favorite degree deodorant and it was $10. A box of cereal is almost 5 bones. Cocoa/Fruity Pebbles were on sale, 3 for $4. I'm eating alot of pebbles for awhile.

I'm really excited to be here and I know that I'll be ready to fall in love with it when I get a job. Not letting myself fall in love yet until I know that NY and I are in a commited relationship.

4 comments:

  1. awww i am excited abotu the lovely blog. no worries mara, you're a go getter. you will fall in love too soon. you should meet anna my brother's fiance!! i think you'd get along with her well!! job search is hard.. i was working at some shitty job too until i found a good one like 5 months into living here. tough gig but well worth it.. LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay mara! brooklyn is happy to have you :)

    <3 michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck Mara! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm. expensive nyc mexican food is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete